Friday, March 28, 2014

COUGH, COUGH, COUGH

It's a quarter past midnight and I should be sawing logs and talking in my sleep by now but I've got a fecking cold and every time I lay down all the snot slimes down my throat and the next thing you know I'm coughing up hairballs until I see stars.

Dave's funny. He almost never talks in his sleep but whenever he does it cracks me up. Tonight, while I was trying to keep my mucous from running downhill, he said something about the colour of the curtains doing something or other to the countertop. I couldn't exactly make out what he was saying, because his sleep talking is actually more like sleep mumbling.

I leaned close to his ear and asked, loudly, "What did you say?"

"I dunno," he muttered groggily. "I'm sleeping."

I wasn't about to let him off that easy. After all, he was talking curtains. And countertops. Countertops! What – suddenly I was in bed with Mike Holmes and the Property Brothers?

"Tell me what you said," I demanded.

Dave said something that sounded kinda like, "Whaaa?" Then he rolled over and began to snore.

Feck that, I thought.  I grabbed my Vicks Vaporub and came downstairs where I have since opened my laptop and decided to – lawd have mercy – do a blog post. I just realized I haven't posted since the beginning of March. Bloggy friend JoJo sent me a Facebook message the other day to find out if I was dead.

No, no. Not dead. Just a little lackadaisical. You know how it is with blogging ... you don't post for a while, then you feel guilty, so guilty you can't even go to your blog, can't even bear to look at it, and your poor blog is like an abandoned orphan, lost in the vast internet hinterland, singing "TOMORROW, TOMORROW, I LOVE YA, TOMORROW" in its sweet, adorably off-key little voice.

Sigh. I really detest that musical.




18 comments:

  1. You poor possom. A juicy cold is enough to make a person long for death and in my case become the psycho bitch from hell. I hope the mucus dries up and your inspiration flows again quickly.
    Re male sleep talkers: Years back the skinny one sat bolt upright in bed one night 'What's wrong?' my caring self asked 'Its nothing I tell you. NOTHING' he replied in a very angry tone and lay down again. And dammit I never could get a satisfactory answer out of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you - feel better soon. There's nothing so lonely as the empty hours in the middle of the night when you're bunged up with cold & can't breathe (let alone, sleep!) whilst your 'other half' selfishly drifts off effortlessly to the 'Land of Nod'. ;-p

    Whatever Dave WAS saying could work to your advantage, though - did you have new curtains or countertops in mind? You could pick out something snazzy that you really like and then argue "you said it was ok last night......!" ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you have a cold, would it help if you piled a dozen pillows on the bed and slept sitting up? Of course then you wouldn't be downstairs writing blog posts for us....
    Loved Dave's answer, "I'm sleeping"
    My older son briefly talked in his sleep when he was about eleven I think. We could stand by his bed and have the most amazing conversations and he wouldn't remember a thing the next morning. We taped him one night and played it back to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a rotten cold too. Got it from babysitting the grandkids. Little rotters.
    So my Dave talks in his sleep and one night he started laughing. It woke me up so I asked him what he was laughing at. He said "naw...you had to be there."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh glad to know your not dead I was wondering too:) Get better OK and do not listen to sleeping guys you may get a shock:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feeling like poop are you? Bummer. Hope it passes quickly. I also hope you visit your poor lonely blog a little more often, I was about to send out the Mounties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you're sick. Glad you posted though! I was wondering where you'd gotten to. Hey how's the new job going? I figured that was why you weren't posting as much. Are you doing A-Z?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hate having a cold too! Hope you're feeling better soon, I enjoy reading your posts, even if Dave won't fess up his inner longings of becoming the new Cold Lake Reno King!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feel better soon Cathy. It's been a terrible winter for sickness in your old stomping grounds. Downright blicky! I can relate about the blogging thing. I am not enjoying it like I use to. Maybe it's time to take up Candy Crush?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, so I'm not the only one who dislikes that musical? Not to mention musicals in general...

    If it's possible to sleep sitting in a comfortable chair, try that for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good grief, you really are sick. Colds suck, any time of the year, and especially at the end of March.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You may detest the musical and the cold, but you still love your blog. (Or tolerate it, at the very least.) Do hope you're soon feeling well, and that Dave brings you some new curtains and counter tops.

    Blessings and Bear hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear from you, even if you are feeling like crapola. See what we've done to our husbands by making them watch HGTV shows? My hubby about made me fall over when he pointed out something at an antique shop a few days and said something about it making a great "accent wall." Trust me those are two words that I never ever expected to hear come out of that man's mouth. On the plus side, one thing we've learned from watching those HGTV shows is that we have an "en suite." And all these years, we just thought we had a ... bathroom.

    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear that you have been sick! So many things going around right now. Too funny to hear what your husband was chatting about in his sleep. I guess dreams can bring out some strange visions and thoughts. :)

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Colds are the pits, feel better soon ^_^ Here's some sparkly glitter to brighten up your day ✰ •* ˚ ♥ 。* ˛。✰˚* ˚ ★ღ   ★ ° :.˚ ♥   . • ○ ° ★  .  *☆  . 

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, I resurrect my blog after months and months of being snot free and then the first time I log on I catch your cold! Thanks for that. *sniffle* ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. When you are Rich & Famous (and feeling better) come back to Ontario so we can become Church Ladies together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am having a crappy feeling day myself. And my blog's been sorely neglected. And yet... here I sit... not posting... instead finding an urge to tackle the laundry.

    Lord help me... I must be delusional!!

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...