Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I is for Ice


I was almost there.

The seat belt sign was on, my ears were popping, the plane was descending ... and then, without warning, the plane swooped back up into the atmosphere. I watched the shadows changing on the wing out my window and realized the airplane was turning.  Then the pilot came on the intercom. "Ladies and gentlemen, you may have noticed we are turning around. The winter storm isn't getting any better and the runways at Edmonton Airport are too icy to attempt at landing. We're going back to Saskatoon to wait for better weather."

Passengers all around me grumbled in disappointment. No one more than me. I hadn't seen my husband, Dave, for six weeks and couldn't wait to wrap my arms around him and plant a sound kiss on his soft lips. We were so close ... so close... and then we weren't.

Saskatoon was only a 40 minute flight from Edmonton and we got lucky. No sooner than we landed and unloaded for a much needed break, than the pilot announced a break in the weather and we were back on the plane headed west again. This time the descent was not interrupted. The jet landed safely (although it did wobble on an icy patch) and before I knew it I was sobbing like a baby in Dave's arms.

It was so good to see him. He was even handsomer than I remembered. It was a whole day before we started acting like old married people again.

All this flying back to Saskatoon stuff reminded me of one of my favourite Guess Who songs, "Running Back to Saskatoon." If you've never heard this classic Canadian song, give it a listen. If you haven't heard it lately, give it a click. It'll remind you of why you love Canada.

For me, it'll now and forever be about seeing Dave waiting for me at the airport gate in Edmonton. Finally.



Running Back To Saskatoon

There's a province up in Canada that's right next door to ours.
It's called Saskatchewan.
And, in that province there's a small town, 
uh, where nothing much ever happens, 
called Saskatoon.
This is a tune about that town.
Called "Runnin' Back To Saskatoon".

I been hangin' around gas stations
I been learnin' 'bout tires
I been talkin' to grease monkeys
I been workin' on cars

Moose Jaw saw a few, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace and a Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune
Sing another prairie tune

I been hangin' around libraries
I been learnin' 'bout books
I been talkin' to play writers
I been workin' on words, phrases

Moose Jaw saw a few, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace and a Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune
Sing another prairie tune

I been hangin' around hospitals
I been learnin' 'bout dyin'
I been talkin' to heart doctors
I been workin' on disease

Moose Jaw saw a few, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace and a Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune
Sing another prairie tune

This tune is home grown
Don't come from Hong Kong
This tune is home grown
Don't come from Hong Kong

I been hangin' around grain elevators
I been learnin' 'bout food
I been talkin' to soil farmers
I been workin' on land

Moose Jaw saw a few, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace and a Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune
Sing another prairie tune

I been hangin' around camera stores
I been learnin' 'bout sight
I been talkin' to film makers
I been workin' on eyes

Moose Jaw saw a few, Moosomin too
Runnin' back to Saskatoon
Red Deer, Terrace and a Medicine Hat
Sing another prairie tune
Sing another prairie tune

This tune is home grown
Don't come from Hong Kong
This tune is home grown
Don't come from Hong Kong

6 comments:

  1. I've never done the flyover to that part of the country... I have driven through the area. Endless skies....

    I didn't know about that song though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen the movie 'Grown Ups'? The ladies are all ogling a hot young buck at the water park then he opens his mouth and the funniest voice comes out. He says he's from Saskatchetoon, Canada. I crack up every time. BTW, whoever coloured that picture flooded Maine. ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I don't believe that you did manage to act like old married people'. Love and a cold can't be hidden...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you included the map of Canada,as I never think to take a good look at the globe and it is always a mystery to me (beyond Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Saskatoon is a great place. We've been here for over 30 years, and love it here. Great riverbank parks are just the beginning.

    Glad you got didn't stay too long this time. Come visit us again; you might fall in love with Saskatoon, too!

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...