Monday, April 25, 2011

U is for Under the Turkey

Dave took this photo of a wild turkey family in our backyard last year. 
Sorry about the focus. And no, we didn't eat any of these turkeys yesterday.

When it comes to turkey, I'm a breast man, but my mom and my husband both say the best part of a turkey is underneath.
Along the backbone are two strips of dark meat that are the tastiest and most succulent part of the bird. Dave calls it the tenderloin, because it's so tender, but online I found out those parts are called the scallops.
Did you cook a turkey yesterday? I did. Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, maple squash, turnip, peas, carrots and yellow jellied salad, pumpkin pie, key lime pie and cherry pie. Lordy. We have enough leftovers in the fridge that we need a bigger fridge.
We had a terrific day, though. The weather was the best I've seen yet this spring. Actual t-shirt weather and I got a little bit of a sunburn on my chest... no, not that part of my chest... just the part under my neck.
I mean, I may be a breast man, but nudity is not the best part of this old bird.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful dinner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. We had turkey too. What on earth is yellow jellied salad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT, my dear Deb, is my "Y is for" posting... (cue evil laugh...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Deb asked the question! Can I come over for leftovers? I didn't cook anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like quite a spread! I baked a ham and some sweet potatos. Topped those off with Klondike bars. I've heard those medalions on the back of a turkey called oysters. You can play the sandwich song again today! Ham Sams for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a big turkey eater, but still a big breast man. That did not come out right at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow great feast!!!! we were travelling and visiting down in Niagara, so it was a feast at the Mandarin for us. Yes that back meat is soooo tasty, it's the least used muscle so always the best, the same as for a beef or pork tenderloin...Yummmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm kinda hungry after reading your post, but we ate at my parent's house Saturday and have no leftovers (sigh). Hey, did you say nudity...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like quite the spread you had there... man, I'm jealous.
    ~2

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, you guys have a whole new way of eating! Harry, what is a Klondike bar? Like a mars bar? Geek!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a feast! i wonder what's a yellow jellied salad... ;)

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...